Advantages of Fractional CO2 laser therapy
- No general anesthesia – done awake. Usually use local blocks like in a dental office or an anesthetic cream as used before a bikini wax.
- Less healing time – rapid healing post laser. Patient up and ready to work with cream on face/neck within 24-48 hours; looks like a sunburn.
- Facial skin appears to look improved after first few days – but when the body starts producing its new collagen by week 3, the patients note that lines start to disappear, and by 6 months with more collagen remodeling, the facial skin appears even more improved. Therefore, this is a biphasic treatment. Initial result by 3 weeks and even more significant improvement by 6-9 months.
- Safe and can be used on all skin types. Darker skin may need to have up to 3 to 4 weeks of pretreatment with a medical skin program. Excellent results seen with Asian, Latin, and even African American skin.
- Patients can resume sunbathing. Sun activities are fine with a sunblock after 1 month post laser treatment if desired.
- Procedure can also lighten and improve sun-damaged skin on neck, décolletage, and lighten age spots on hands, feet, and legs.
- Fractional laser can be used for facial scarring, deep acne pits, warts, discolorations of face, i.e. melasma after pregnancy.
- It can be used effectively even if you are a smoker.
- It can be combined with surgical procedures, i.e. cheek/neck lifts and foreheadplasty.
- It can do segmental areas about face. It can laser around the mouth, the perioral area. It can be used for dark areas under the eyes, which is a highly effective treatment for this condition.
The CO2 fractional laser is probably the biggest advance in laser resurfacing in the last 30 years. It combines all the Gold Standard pluses that we see with total CO2 laser resurfacing, now with none of the downside.
But remember, fractional means that you are leaving a percentage of the skin “untouched” by the laser. It is, therefore, recommended that at least 2 sessions be planned. This is a challenge with our patients because the majority is so satisfied with just one session that we call them “prematurely happy!”
Dr. Bafitis does use a medical skin care protocol that not only creates the basis for these “prematurely happy” patients but actually improves the results of the laser therapy. He often states that a “medical skin program” is like brushing your teeth. You would not go to bed without brushing your teeth. So, why not take care of the largest organ of your body — your skin. The way it should be taken care of literally involves 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at night.
Did you know after your Fractional Laser treatment you are given custom products that enhance the results. Dr Bafitis does the compounding of his own prescription strength skin products. Prescription strength Retin-A creams and custom creams .
History of the CO2 Fractional Laser
The Old Gold Standard The definitive gold standard of laser resurfacing of the face and neck has been the CO2 laser. It produced amazing results that were permanent. In fact, our CO2 patients of 15 years ago still have a softness and glow to their facial skin. No other laser treatment has been able to duplicate these remarkable results.
Unfortunately, with the CO2 laser came a prolonged healing time, sometimes up to several months of redness as well as crusting/weeping of the facial skin. Often times, a temporary lightening of the skin was not only disheartening to the patient but to the physician as well. Physicians would often tell patients to avoid the sun for up to a year after the CO2 laser. The more significant issue was that usually the patient was subjected to general anesthesia for this procedure.
Evolution to the New CO2 Fractional Laser
The medical community swung the pendulum to less effective lasers in “hope” of obtaining the same result with less problems. “Nonablative” laser surfaced: The Intense Pulse Light (IPL) laser was excellent for hair removal and minimal lightening of some age spots but did nothing for the facial skin lines compared to the amazing results with the CO2 laser. Erbium and Fraxel™ provide a less invasive penetrating laser beam to the face — but again, long-term results were not significant, and the Fraxel™ required many treatments that were expensive and painful (when they are awake).
The New Gold Standard
So, the pendulum has shifted again back to the gold standard CO2 laser therapy — now with a system that leaves some normal tissue unlasered (microscopically), so healing time is only a day to 5 to 7 days (at the most), depending on the depth of penetration and the intensity of the treatments. For example, acne scarring would need a deeper treatment with a more intense laser light. After a DOT Therapy procedure, thousands of microscopic perforations stimulate new collagen growth to improve skin’s texture and tone, significantly improving lines and wrinkles and, of course, even acne scarring. DOT Laser Therapy leaves the skin around each of the perforations intact, allowing the epidermis to heal from the edge of the tiny microscopic laser ablative holes, dramatically improving the overall complexion. Even with a “deep” (penetrating) treatment, most people can return to activities in 24-48 hours. They look like they had a sunburn, full peeling with “new” beautiful skin ensues within 36-48 hours and can last up to 7 days. Again, the patient looks like they had a sunburn.
The Truth About Bafitis Plastic Surgery And Fractional Co2 Therapy (Dot Laser Therapy)
Dr. Bafitis has been selected to train other physicians in this delicate and artistic laser modality. He has held medical workshops at his state-of-the-art certified facility. He performs live surgery and instructs physicians from around the country, South America, and Europe on the fractional CO2 system. Dr. Bafitis was also a national instructor in the past with the fully ablative (non fractional) CO2 laser system.
He has 20 years of experience with CO2 therapy. Dr. Bafitis has made it his mission to embrace this new technology from Florence, Italy, with the DOT laser. It changed the scope of his facial rejuvenation, and the before and after photos prove it.
Ask our staff to arrange a consultation and if you desire to speak with previous patients. Explore your options with Bafitis Plastic Surgery. Don’t trust this laser procedure to someone less than an expert in the field.